As the most prestigious exam of the country IAS Mains is just round the corner, there must be an anxiety of getting through with this exam amongst candidates. The essay paper in the Civil Services Exam held by the Union Public Service Commission carries 200 marks and time allotted to it is three hours.
The topics of this essay writing exam can be anything under the sun. The topics can be current affairs, Philosophy, social issues, country politics, science and technology etc. One should be well versed with each and every thing and should have enough of matter to write logically.
Below are some tips and tricks that could help the aspirants in essay writing:
- Pick up a topic that you are completely sure of. Prior to start writing the essay note down all important points randomly. Noting down these points will help you recalling the important facts which you main miss due to shortage of time.
- Important facts and figures related to the topics should be on your fingertips. Make a chart in front of you which may consist important dates, events etc.
- The most important point is to make the introduction strong. Introductory paragraph should be hard hitting and impact full which will create a positive impression in the examiner's mind.
- You should not deviate from the topic you are writing. It should be to the point and straight forward. Focus on the topic you are writing on and throughout the topic the main subject should not be left behind.
- Expert's advice to write the essay between 1200-1500 words which should have a nice conclusion.
- The topic you choose should have logical discussions, your concept regarding the particular topic is evaluated in the Main exam essay paper.
While wrapping up your essay, include verdict and your evaluation on the topic. But one should avoid giving personal opinions which may differ from the examiner's opinion and end up giving you fewer marks.